What is safeguarding?

You may have heard people talk about ‘child protection’ or “safeguarding children”. Child protection is when people are worried that a child may be being hurt by someone.

What is Safeguarding?

A social worker’s job, with the help of other workers like the police, health visitors and teachers, is to stop children from being hurt that could be:

  • physical: like hitting and punching
  • sexual: someone touching, looking at, or doing sexual acts;
  • emotional: like putting you down all the time or making you feel worthless or left out;
  • neglect: where you do not have important things you need, like a bed, feeling safe, food, someone to help.  (see more information about types of abuse in the link below)

Safeguarding is the word we use when we want to stop children and young people from being hurt. Safeguarding looks at what needs to happen to keep children and young people safe.

What is Abuse?

The Government has published a guide for young people to explain what abuse is and how to keep children safe.

How do we do this?

There is a group of people who meet regularly to look at what things can be done in Hillingdon to safeguard children and young people, this is called the Safeguarding Children Partnership Board (SCPB). The people on the Board have different jobs including: police, doctors, social workers, and teachers, we call these our partners and it is our job to work together to protect and safeguard children.

The Government has published the guide below for young people to explain how adults and professionals are expected to work together to safeguard children.

The job of Safeguarding Children Partnership (SCP) is to work hard to make sure that Hillingdon is a safe place for children and young people to grow up. The SCP helps partners ensure that what they do to safeguard children and young people works. What they do is regularly checked, and if needed changed, to make sure the needs of Hillingdon’s children and young people are met in the best possible way.